This past year, many patients have marked milestones in their cancer treatment by ringing the “Bell of Hope” at BC Cancer centres across the province a symbolic gesture to recognize what they have been through as they embark on their next step.
It is also a moment to celebrate the many family, friends and healthcare heroes who support and care for BC Cancer patients.
Of course, many cancer stories end differently: not with a bell-ringing celebration, but with a family left in sadness and grief.
When you make your donation today, please keep in your heart the people you would like to honour this holiday season.
Whether it’s someone currently facing cancer...a loved one who has sadly passed away...or even the healthcare heroes and researchers at BC Cancer who work tirelessly to improve outcomes and save lives...your gift will have an enormous impact.
Thank you for your generous giving spirit this holiday season!
Jackie Ellis was 39 when she started to have trouble breathing. She went to a clinic, expecting a diagnosis of pneumonia. What she did not expect was discovering her arteries were being squeezed closed by golf-ball-sized tumours.
It was surreal. She felt like she was outside of her body, looking down, thinking, “How could this possibly be? I’m healthy. I’m an athlete. I’m Jackie.”
She was scared beyond her wildest dreams.
Jackie was quickly diagnosed with Primary Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma, and started her first round of chemotherapy within days of hearing she had cancer.
On many anxious nights in her room at BC Cancer, Jackie would look across the street to the L.J. Blackmore Cancer Research Centre, home to BC Cancer’s research enterprise. It was her beacon of hope.
She hoped that some curious, brilliant, and dedicated scientists would find a way to save her life.
Jackie was told she had a 60% chance that the standard treatment for her cancer would work... which meant there was a 40% chance that it wouldn’t. So when her doctor told her about an opportunity to take part in a clinical trial she leapt at the opportunity. Knowing that world-leading research was focused on developing new treatments gave her even more reason to hope.
Four months later when a negative PET/CT scan revealed that Jackie’s treatment was working, it was the greatest moment of her life. She continued with several more rounds of chemotherapy after being told she was cancer-free. Several years later, she continues to be healthy and eternally grateful for the care she received at BC Cancer.
Many patients mark milestones in their cancer treatment by ringing the Bell of Hope at BC Cancer centres across the province a symbolic gesture to recognize what they have been through and embark on their next step.
Jackie is ringing her Bell of Hope this holiday season to celebrate the team she credits with giving her hope and saving her life: clinicians and scientists, her loved ones and BC Cancer Foundation donors like you.
Your message will be shared below shortly after making a donation.
Click here to view more messages